Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Art of Souvenir Shopping

As promised my first post back in Oklahoma after my travels is about all the (pointless) souvenirs I bought for myself.. 


Now before I begin, the array of shot glasses is not the product of a drinking problem but is to add to a collection I started when I was 18 on my first unsupervised holiday abroad in Tenerife. 

From Texas:
Naturally the first thing I bought was the cowboy shaped shot glass which reads 'Everything is Bigger in Texas'.. Which believe it or not is true. The trucks are huge, the plates of food are huge, the cowboy hats, cowboy boots, pickles, roasted corn, all HUGE. A rumour which circulates Oklahoma is that even the parking spaces in Texas are drawn out larger than those in other states, however from talking to a few Texans I think that is just a rumour. 
Next was the jolly little Cowboy Santa tree decoration you can see perched up against the shot glasses. I saw this little guy on sale on 6th street in Austin for $5 and could not resist. I mean who could resist santa in cowboy boots and hat carrying a cactus? No one. 
Last but not least I just had to buy a black t-shirt (unfortunately not feature in the photo, but it does exist) with '6th Street' written on the front and 'Keep Austin Weird' across the back. 'Keep Austin Weird' is the capitals moto if you remember correctly from my post on Austin. 

From Chicago:  
The t-shirt with 'Chicago Bulls' written across it may be a slight give away and I may never be able to wear it around Oklahoma seen as I am obliged to support the Oklahoma Thunders basketball team at all times but nevertheless it was a must have. 
As far as shot glasses go I have 2 from Chicago, one from the city and one from the aquairum we visited it which was a secret santa gift from one of the girls I was travelling with. 

From Detroit:
Nothing. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my bank account) I did not find any souvenir shops.

From New York:
I managed to resit the need to buy everything in this beautiful city and settle on the cute diamante 'New York' t-shirt and two shot glasses, one from the top of the Empire State building and one from a ordinary souvenir shop (not so exciting).  

From New Mexico:
On the far right you will see a little colourful pot hand carved by a lovely native American Indian lady I met at her stall on the street of Santa Fe. There were so many big and small pots, animal shaped sculptures that it took me half an hour to decide on the one I did. My decision inevitably came down to what I could and couldn't transport home safely. 
Last but not least I bought 2 shot glasses, one from the beautiful quaint town of Santa Fe and the other from the Carlsbad Caverns located at the most southern point of New Mexico, next to the Mexican border. 

No comments:

Post a Comment