Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Super Bowl Sunday!

I interrupt this Christmas holiday catch-up with an important announcement from last weekend - It was the SUPER BOWL.

Now for most (I've learned not to generalise with 'all') American's this is one of the most exciting Sunday's of the year and I was pretty excited to experience it. For those of you unfamiliar with the Super Bowl it is the final game of thr NFL (National Football League) football season. The game was held in New York and I am told the venue changes each year. This year the two teams fighting for the championship title were the Seattle Seahawks (From Washington) and Denver Bronco's (from Colorado). Statistically the Bronco's were the favorites to win... But like always, statistics can be wrong.

I was lucky enough to be invited to an American Super Bowl party held at a girl from my sororities apartment... Like at any good American party there was chilli, chips (nachos) and queso (cheese sauce), and of course the Super Bowl. Now after much deliberation with my Scotish neighbour on who we should support in this game we knew nothing about we decided on the Seahawks as they are from the same place the Oklahoma City Thunders basketball team originated from, and everybody loves them so we should love the Seahawks right? Wrong. As I often am about these American things. I was surrounded by girls cheering on the Bronco's, who when we arrived close to half time were loosing 5-0. They powered through for the rest of the game continuing their loosing streak until the girls, like probably the rest of the country, gave up.

Half time show: The reason most people from states who didn't qualify for the game watch the Super Bowl. Last year I'm told Beyonce stole the game with her performance and this year Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in their highly controversial outfits did the same.

Commercials: Another reason to watch the game if you have absolutely no interest in the sport. The Super Bowl commercial slots are one of the most expensive on American TV and for good reason, the whole country is watching. Therefore they are famous for being elaborate, funny, and simply something everyone can look froward too when their team is loosing, sorry Denver. This year Coca Cola caused great controversy (like any good advert) with what I believe is a beautiful commercial with people from all different cultures singing 'America is Beautiful' is all different languages. I'll leave you with this link so you can make your own mind up http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/coca-colas-multi-lingual-super-bowl-ad-inspired-a-racist-mel.

All in all it was a sad day for Denver who lost 43-8 to the underdogs of the match, I for one am glad I picked the right team, maybe next year I'll back them the whole way through!

No comments:

Post a Comment