Friday, December 6, 2013

All The Little Things...

Christmas is on the fast approach and homesickness is sweeping through the exchange students like the plague everyone knows they’re going to get. Those who are only here for a semester will be leaving in less than two weeks and those all-important bonds of friendship we’ve formed will be under incredible strain as we pain ourselves to say goodbye. As sad as I will be to say goodbye to people leaving, especially my roommate Nadine travelling back to Germany, I can’t help by smile at all the little things around campus. 

Throughout my time here I’ve noticed that school spirit isn’t limited to sports games but spreads like wildfire around the whole campus all year long. People are genuinely just happy to be here and want to make it a happy place and it is so humbling seeing all these little things going on. It really keeps my head up high when I’m feeling overwhelmed by this whole experience and it’s something I would like to share with all of you…

I walked into the bathroom (or restroom?) on campus after one of my classes a month back and found these posit notes to the right dotted all over the mirror. This is where I first got my inspiration for this blog post, and since then I ran into the sight below written in chalk on one of the pathways. Seeing messages scribbled across the floor in chalk is not a strange site at OU as everyone joins in and it’s more often than not how I find out about events at the student union! These little things just make you take a step back and realise you’re in a truly happy place. This certainly is not the atmosphere you would experience at any time at the University of Hertfordshire, unfortunately.
As this week is the last week of class one of the girls baked a load (I mean a huge load) of peanut butter cookies and chocolate brownies for the students in all of her classes that day. This is my second experience of girls on an impulse baking for their class, it’s just a shame I couldn’t eat any of them! But they looked good… 

I think the spirit of OU is what I’ll miss most often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment