Wednesday, December 11, 2013

H&M Gun Range

Today myself and some of my roommates had a true Southern American experience when we paid a little visit to our local gun range. Now this was the first time any of us had been in a room full of guns, let alone get to shoot one! 

The whole experience was kind of surreal for me because it was simply so easy. Only one of us had to show a form of ID before they handed over the 22 caliber gun and box of ammunition. We had to read a sheet of rules and sign our life away before heading into our designated room. At the time there was only one other man in there and a police woman practising with her own gun... Then a bunch of foreigners taking photos and flinching at every shot. I was told this is one of the smaller ranges however to my eyes it was huge.. It had a gun range, archery range, shop and a little cafe where the wives were sitting reading the paper presumably waiting for the husbands and/or sons. As well as guns which you can by for as little as $300 there were stuffed animal heads all over the walls which I am told are hunting trophies of the employees.

Now, shooting a gun is a lot louder and more powerful than it looks on the TV. Despite the mandatory protective ear muffs and goggles it was still loud enough to make me want to cover my ears. I am glad I had the experience however would not consider it one I want to repeat, although I am proud I managed to aim well enough to at least hit the target! I don't think hunting is the 'sport' for me though, I'll stick to the cafe.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment