Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A man on a plane

Embarking on the second stage of my trip half way across the globe I found myself on a tiny internal flight from Dallas, TX to Oklahoma City. After a short relapse of ‘What on earth am I doing moving to America’ at the departure gate, I eventually calmed down sitting next to a very friendly Oklahoman.

This gracious man from Norman Oklahoma took it upon himself to take a scared little girl from Swansea under his wing as a granddaughter figure. On that short flight I learnt all about his humble beginnings and great pride in his small town, I told him all about my ambitious plans for the year ahead, to travel, meet new people and embrace all that America had to offer me. This man became my friend.

Since that day he has kept in contact with me, offering help along my journey, introducing me to his church and those around him of my own age. I have made friends I never would have crossed paths with otherwise, all thanks to the man on the plane.

It is the many little experiences just like these that I have had with the people of Oklahoma that make me proud to say I am part of OU. This is not the America you see on TV where everyone is hustling around a busy city fuelled by crime. This is not the America you hear about on the radio where the biggest headline is Obama’s new dog.


No, this is the real America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment