Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Pumpkin Patch Kids

Today my sorority sisters (more on this later) took me on a spontaneous trip to a 'pumpkin patch' not far from my apartment. These patches are dotted around the country for the amusement of children, families and 21 year olds alike.

The one I was lucky enough to visit today, with my first pumpkin-spiced latte in hand, was one of the sweetest places I have ever been! There were scarecrows, mazes, hay bails, tracto
rs, professional photographers, a petting zoo and most importantly pumpkins of every kind, even the kind dressed in hats and sunglasses!

My friends bought a few small striped ones, white ones and orange ones to decorate their house on the all American halloween soon approaching. I wish Halloween was celebrated with such finesse in the UK so children could experience things like pumpkin patches, pumpkin carving and pumpkin flavoured everything like they can here.

I mean I'm no halloween expert, but, having experienced several in the UK, New Zealand and granted only one in America, I feel I have at least half the knowledge required to say America puts the fun that the UK and New Zealand have sucked out of Halloween back in! Although I am situated right smack bang in the middle of the bible belt of the US I have yet to see a door step covered in salt telling children (only seeking light hearted fun) to back away from their house and not even dare to ask for sweets. Its safe to say everyone gets into the Halloween spirit here, and I love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment