Sunday, October 20, 2013

Homesickness speaks every language

Its not since my emotional breakdown during my first Wallmart trip due to their lack of gluten free bread that I have felt homesick... But now on the fast approach of my 21st birthday I am beginning to feel the pinch.

Homesickness is the strangest emotion I have felt yet. Its missing something so much that it hurts but not enough that you want it back. I miss my friends, my family and good British food! Those are the things I want in close proximity for the rest of my life, especially the food, oh and cider. We can't forget cider. But do I want to jump on a plane tonight just to see Swansea bay or Hatfield Galleria in the morning? No chance! But at the same time, sometimes I do.

It's the little things I now know I took for granted that I miss most and for those of you lucky enough to still take advantage of them here is a list:

  1. PG TIPS - Good tea is scarce, drink it every day and enjoy it for me.
  2. ASDA - Supermarkets that are big enough to hold all the food you need and yet small enough to navigate without bumping into a scene from facebooks famous Wallmart photos are a blessing
  3. TAP WATER - Tap water here may be safe to drink but it tastes like pool water.
  4. PUBLIC TRANSPORT - From this day forward I solemnly swear never to complain about the underground, Arriva trains Wales or Stagecoach busses ever again. They have always been there for me, unlike the non-existent Oklahoma transportation system. I bought a bike, need I say more?
  5. DRINKING AGE OF 18 - Thank you parliment. 
  6. POUND COINS - These 1 dollar bills are a pain, especially when they go through the washing machine, or rather don't go through quite so well.
This list could contain a few more menial things that i've thought about more in the last eight weeks than I ever have in my life but that would give you the impression that I want to go home and i'm saving that for next year!

Although I do wish I could be celebrating my 21st with my family and friends back home I am so grateful for the international family I have here who have already made more than an effort to help me plan and make my big day even bigger, so despite having to attend a full day of lectures I have a feeling it'll be a good one! I've learnt that it's not about what language you speak, religion you practice or culture you're used to, some things in life are universal. One of those things is comfort; everybody needs it and here I am lucky to be surrounded by everybody who gives it. 


P.S I have a funny feeling that the first post I write upon my arrival in heathrow will be a similar list containing everything I miss about the home I've made here...

No comments:

Post a Comment